Of clays and clays and DECO Clay.....

2.02.2011

A lot of times, I get asked by people why I use DECO Clay and not any other air-dry clay in the market. The answer simply is, that there is no other clay in the market that is as versatile, as easy to work with and as good a finish as Claycraft by DECO or DECO Clay as we refer to it most times. It is simply the best (according to me, of course) air-dry clay in the market. I don't say this simply as a DECO Clay Craft Academy Certified Instructor. Every time someone talks about a new kind of air-dry clay, I try it out to see how it is different from DECO Clay. Without taking brand names, here is what I found:

Weight: Most clays in the market, are DENSE and HEAVY. Even if you could mold them into flowers, they would end up looking clumpy and tacky (to say the least!). And they are super heavy. I also had a recent experience of looking at the work of someone who works with this kind of clay. Seriously, I felt lucky to be working with DECO. That is about all I can say without being rude :).

Versatility and Ease of Working: I have tried 3 different types of clay, that claim to be light. That they are. I won't dispute that. But when I worked with them, I found them sticky and rubbery. It felt like someone had rubbed glue into them. While these clays were easier to work with as compared to the heavy versions, these stuck to the tools. While you could mold them a little more than the heavier version, you definitely can't get as intricate with these, as you can with DECO Clay.

Finish: None of the air-dry clays in the market have the finish that DECO Clay has. The finish is not smooth and feels really rough when dry.


Price: This is again an oft-asked question and an important one too. Why does the DECO Clay cost 8.99 a pack, as opposed to X Brand which costs 3.99? Apart from all the other reasons that I have mentioned above, if you take a look at the quantity, you'll know for a fact, that DECO Clay is not more expensive than any of other comparable brands. These clays are packaged in smaller packets. So, even though they might seem cheaper, they are - in fact - not.


Disclaimer :) : The clays that I have compared to DECO Clay, are the ones that I have used personally. This writeup is based on my experiences of using comparable air-dry clays. If you wish to ask a question or share your experiences with a different clay that you have used, please feel free to comment on this post and I shall answer as best as I can.

I hope this post has answered a lot of your questions. I will be happy to answer more. Just email me at info@keepsakeblossoms.com or leave me a note on this blog.

No comments: